Improving Breathing and Swallowing Ability in an 86 Year-Old Following COVID-19
Following recovery from COVID-19, this 86-year-old gentleman requested outpatient speech-language pathology services at Benedictine Living Community of Bismark. He was experiencing new onset of shortness of breath with inability to walk down the hallway (150 feet), oropharyngeal dysphagia (difficulty chewing and swallowing), and weight loss. Prior to his diagnosis of COVID-19, he had no difficulty with chewing or swallowing and walked an average of 3 miles a day at his assisted living facility.
Speech Therapy: (2x/week x 11 weeks)
OmniFlow™ Breathing Therapy Biofeedback
- Deep inhalation – Diamond Mine
- Forced expiration – Prehistoric Contest
- Rhythmical breathing – Starry Road
Synchrony Dysphagia Solutions by ACP® With OmnisEMG™ Biofeedback
- Swallow initiation, timing, and coordination using Bow and Arrow virtual reality (VR) representation of muscle movement
- Effortful swallows using Kangaroo and Trace Display VR representation of muscle movement
- Home exercise program for breathing and tongue movement exercises
This gentleman is thrilled with his success in therapy! Due to improvements in his breathing and swallowing, he has returned home (assisted living facility) to his normal routine of eating and drinking what he wants and walking 3 miles a day!
Subscribe to stay up-to-date on our latest posts.