Patient Information: Male, Age 85
Diagnosis: Rhabdomyolysis / Recurrent Falls / Multiple Joint Pain
History: This gentleman was admitted to the hospital with complaints of multiple joint pain after experiencing several falls at home. After a one-week hospitalization, he transferred to a skilled nursing facility to receive therapy, with the goal of returning home alone.
• Left Wrist Pain: Moderate (6/10).
• Muscle Strength: Poor (2/5) throughout both arms and legs.
• Transfers: Maximal (75%) assistance of 2 therapists to move from
bed to chair.
• Ambulation: Unable.
• Self-care: Dependent (100% assistance).
• Modality: Omnistim® FX2 Pro Patterned Electrical Neuromuscular Stimulation (PENS), Megapulse® II
• Frequency: 5x per week.
• Protocol: Subthermal Diathermy to the left wrist to address pain. Upper Megapulse® II Shortwave Diathermy. Extremity Triphasic PENS to both arms using the biceps/triceps protocol, alternating with the wrist flexion/extension protocol. Lower Extremity Triphasic PENS to both legs using the quadriceps/hamstrings protocol to increase neuromuscular re-education and functional strength.
• Duration: Six weeks.
• Other Therapy Services Provided: Progressive resistance therapeutic exercises, bed mobility and transfer training, and gait training (as pain levels decreased).
• Left Wrist Pain: Absent (0/10).
• Muscle Strength: Normal (5/5) throughout both arms and legs.
• Transfers: Independent.
• Ambulation: Independent for 300 feet with a wheeled walker.
• Self-care: Independent.
“I am so much better! So happy to be going home!” This gentleman is so overjoyed with his therapy outcome, he was dancing with his Occupational Therapist on the day he was discharged to go home! His therapists state they wouldn’t have made such good progress without the use of the diathermy for his pain and the electrical stimulation to help build his strength.
You may also contact our Customer Support @ 800.350.1100